The art of WINGING it. This took me less than an hour!
People say, “oh your so good at crafting” or “I wish I was as crafty as you”, well good news, anyone can be! I grew up with crafts all around me but never the practical kind like wood shop or painting/drawing. You just gotta wing it with what you got. It takes trial and error, but also creativity and laughter. You will fail but you will also learn, just like cooking or baking or making your own mascara…
Anywho. In a nutshell. I whacked off a chunk of this cute wood(is there such a thing?) and drilled holes in it and glued/shoved smaller sticks in it.
It’s for a friends baby boys room so it’ll probably be cuter there than my entryway..
He is Risen! Happy Easter everyone, what a great God we have to send his son to die for us.
I love baths, I want to know who doesn’t? I also love winging recipes, because it’s faster and I am not really a perfectionist so it’s fun to not have to be so technical, this is the perfect concoction for that. A little holiday cute craft is always fun. Where did the Easter Bunny and eggs come into all of this? anyway…
about 1 cup Baking Soda -got in BULK or cardboard
about 1/2 cup Cream of Tartar or citric acid -got in BULK
about a heaping 1/4 cup Epsom salt (looking for an eco-friendly packaging or somewhere that has is in BULK)
about 2 teaspons Oil of some sort-I used coconut and olive oil
about 6-10 drops Essential oils of your choosing for smell or their health benefits
Water spritzer (optional)
Mix all dry ingredients together.
Add both kinds of oils and mix(funnest/messiest with hands).
When you swish a handful and it stick together then it is good consistency, if its crumbly spritz a spray of water or add more(a splash of) carrier oil(coconut, olive oil, grapeseed oil etc).
Pack the mixture in any form of some sort(mini muffin tin, cut tennis ball, any silicon molding) or pat/form in a ball.
Wait 24 hours about to let harden up, pop it in the bath and enjoy!
Have fun experimenting. From experience, you may fail(it’s not that bad because you can still use the crumbs in your bath) but you are trying and you will learn for next time.
They can be stored in a dry, cool cupboard waiting to be used 🙂
- If you want it colored, add food coloring (then it wont be natural and most food coloring come in plastic)
- if you want multiple ‘flavors’ split up the dry ingredients and gradual add liquid til good consistency
- With the plastic Easter Eggs(if you already have or get from goodwill & use them forever THEN recycle them-thats a different subject), cut the edge that connects the top and bottom for easier removal-but be gentle when doing so I crumbled/broke in a half a couple
- The more moist the higher success rate I have learned but you don’t want it to sticky/goopey/wet, careful when adding more water! they may get to foamy and dry all holey and not really work well…see photo.
- If you use a silicon mold it may be hard to pack it in because it’ll just move around, but if you think you’ve gotten enough in there let dry for 2-3 days since silicon is resistance to moisture it’ll take longer to fully dry
- READ/FOLLOW caution labels for ingredients and careful/not recommended for using/making with kids!
This is what I started with when I truly got the natural and less-plastic itch. This recipe is easy, customizable, has a small margin of error and uses household ingredients that can be used in many different items.
3 TBSP Shea Butter (mine is in plastic, currently looking for a non plastic but can’t be perfect)
2 TBSP Coconut Oil – got it in BULK
3 TBSP Arrowroot Powder-(or organic non gmo corn starch) got it in BULK
1 TBSP Baking Soda– can get it in BULK and/or cardboard box to recycle or compost
~6-10 drops Essential Oil (this depends on how strong you want it)
- Put squatty mason jar (or another glass jar of choice) on a skillet with water in the pan (makeshift double broiler)-turn on medium.
- Add Coconut Oil and Shea Butter (this is when you can swag it and put drops of different oils you like; almond, carrot seed, hemp, grapeseed etc). Let melt and occasionally stir.
- Add Baking soda and arrowroot powder slowly and stir/whisk, once combined, take off heat.
- Add essential oils when it’s a little cooler and let sit. Stir occasionally until it semi-hardens up, depending on season/temperature. Let harden overnight and use the next day 🙂
- the more baking soda or arrowroot powder the courser and more heavy duty (so not for sensitive skin but good for heavy sweaters) and the opposite for less powders (we usually do just arrowroot in the recipe for easy going days)
- There are lots of alternative combinations but this seems to be my favorite (I have a sensitive-less powder for easy days- and a regular jar- for sweaty days). Other recipes have cornstarch which is fine too if you want to substitute
- store bought natural kinds seem to be dry for me. And the ones that come in cardboard are pricey.
- Don’t just throw away all your store bought deodorant now, use it until its gone if you like it, I don’t think it will kill you. Alternate days when you use store bought and your DIY deodorant to get your body accommodated, this is different for everyone. Took me about 2 weeks.
- I haven’t noticed any oil stain on any of my clothes. Maybe if I wore tight, white, thin t-shirts..but I don’t!
Enoy, and remember, YourEarthIt! <<<<<
Price breakdown can be found Here
My inspiration for this blog and also why aluminum is bad and other non-oil options. click Here
April fools day is one of my favorite non-Jesus related(is that politically correct) holidays!!!
This was a fail because right after this Aaron caught on that it was a prank. Prior to this I convinced him to let me try a mediation method on him. The plate had soot(black smudge I would talk him through rubbing it all over his face) on the bottom. I was tricked into doing this as a kid and was brain storming pranks for today with my mom and sister-my side kicks, instigators or partners in crime depending on the day. But don’t worry I got him in another way!
Anyway, I appreciated this really good prank we saw today. Drove to Portland, I know super ambitious due to traffic and parking and so many people, and we park in a residential neighborhood a block or two away from a main road with shops and restaurants. This lady walks to her car, sees something on her windshield and starts throwing around the F-bomb. Well she thought it was a parking ticket but instead it was a coupon from one of the local shops!!
Comment with good pranks or stories I’d love a good laugh.
HOW DID I DO THIS, THIS IS SO CONFUSING, TOOK ME AND HOUR TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO CHANGE THE TITLE.
check out my about me..it’s the only thing I have actually done